HOME PRO KNOWS…….SEPTICS (TOP 10 DO NOTS)
Dave has been installing and inspecting septic systems for a REALLY LONG TIME. His dad was one of the first major home builders in Granger, IN and built their family home in 1969. Dave helped his dad install that septic. That was before cell phones were even around! Since then, he has installed thousands of septics and really knows his stuff. Most people don’t really care much about septic systems until they have to replace one. Septic systems are sized for the number of occupants and bathrooms in a home. They are designed to hold the solids in a tank then disperse the effluent (fluid part) through a series of pipes and gravel into the ground. Too much fluid at once quickly saturates the absorption field and ruins the system. This list is for ANYONE WHO DOES NOT WANT TO REPLACE THEIR SEPTIC!
WHEN IT COMES TO LIVING IN A HOUSE WITH A SEPTIC SYSTEM HERE IS DAVE’S QUICK LIST OF 10 DO NOTS:
- DO NOT LET YOUR TOILETS RUN OR ANY OF YOUR PLUMBING FIXTURES LEAK -FIX THEM!
- DO NOT LET YOUR SPRINKLER SYSTEM DUMP WATER OVER YOUR SEPTIC FIELD WITH A BROKEN HEAD OR DAMAGED SPRINKLER LINE.
- DO NOT DO LAUNDRY, DISHES AND RUN ALL THE BATHROOMS/SHOWERS AT THE SAME TIME.
- DO NOT LET ANY WATER POOL OVER YOUR SEPTIC BED AREA.
- DO NOT LET YOUR NEIGHBORS WATER RUN ONTO YOUR SEPTIC FIELD AREA.
- DO NOT USE YOUR GARBAGE DISPOSAL AS A TRASH CAN-DONT EVEN USE IT.
- DO NOT FORGET TO PUMP AND CLEAN YOUR SEPTIC TANK EVERY 2 YRS.
- DO NOT PLANT TREES OR LARGE BUSHES NEAR OR IN YOUR SEPTIC BED AREA.
- DO NOT LET ANY HEAVY VEHICLES DRIVE OVER OR NEAR YOUR SEPTIC AREA.
- IF YOU NOTICE ANY ODOR, THICKER GREEN GRASS OR BLACKISH WATER POOLING IT IS TOO LATE!
I am hoping the reasons why are intuitive, but if you have a question, comment, or want to add anything, feel free to contact me or Dave @ email@example.com